Pages

Friday 1 October 2010

Rock and Roll Soul

Rock and Roll Soul

From this day forth I will live a life
Of Rock and Roll,
I announced to my mother the other day. She was speechless
Oh I could never describe the look on her face!

I’m pretty sure
In her mind she had conjured
My metamorphosis into a rebel, an iniquitous blight
With a boorish swagger, high boots,
And jeans OOOOOOHHH SO TIGHT!
Long hair swishing from side to side.
What a FRIGHT!

Before she could topple over, I quickly allayed her fears.
(Like hey, she never really knew me from all those years!)
Mum:

A true proselyte of Rock and Roll
Has communed with the light within his soul.
True, at times he deigns to conform,
And breaks free from the conveyor-belt norm.

Steeped in the sounds of his wild wild youth,
Underneath all the shiny façade he sees the Truth.
Equipped with the mettle to question
All the hegemony and oppression.


An advocate of peace when all the world’s at war,
(And yet somehow they think that he is bizarre!)
Believing that … “all you need is love!”

He sees through his effervescent eyes
Everyone’s sparkle and star-struck lips
Beyond their disguise
He sees
within everyone is a force beyond measure.
Rock on, my brothers!

Having a rock and roll lifestyle is quite handy
When residing in a slumbering planet.
Everything he touches comes alive
Of shades of gleaming gunmetal, screamin’ green, jazzberry jam
And once again the earth is such a sight, amplified.

Night has fallen upon the world,
But for our Rock and Roller, things have just started to get
interesting.
He dusts sandstorms from off his weathered boots
And tenaciously carries on with the show.
YOWWW!

He takes life by the day, and knows how
To flow like water, drift like clouds
And besides,
what better way to express
The world’s moments of ecstasy
and distress
Than through this?

A rocker Rocks On regardless of age,
Of gender, of creed, and of race,
He speaks up on his stage when there is need to be brave,
To eschew all that is base and depraved.

Outrageous like Black Sabbath, but suave like the King,
He will without doubt make your heart sing!

And from that day forth having one like me in the house,
Has made my mum proud.
Because I choose to have a Rock and Roll Soul
Which just means I’m LIVING OUT LOUD!

;D

-Marco (Polo)

PS: I entered this for a performance poetry competition; wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment